At the beginning of the year, I wrote about my "word." My word for 2015 is "forgive." Before I chose this word, I spent a lot of time thinking about how to apply it. For me, the application of forgiveness looks like prayer, reading books, asking friends to keep me accountable, and being more vulnerable.
Now that we are three months into the new year, I figured it was about time for an update. I would be lying if I said that the application of this word has been easy. It hasn't. Sometimes I forget about it completely and other times I pray passionately about it.
In an effort to stay consistent and keep this a positive experience, I have made a list of the things I am doing well to apply my word and the things I might be able to do better.
How I am Applying FORGIVE so Far:
1. I have the recording from the "Finding Freedom Through Forgiveness" class through the Influence Network that I plan to watch once life slows down a bit. I'm really looking forward to it.
2. I have been more honest and straightforward with our small group about my struggles with forgiveness, something that I didn't always talk about as much as I should have.
3. Prayer has been playing a large role in this journey. I know I cannot apply forgiveness on my own, and I pray that the Holy Spirit works in me to make it possible.
4. I have started making a list of the books related to forgiveness that I would like to read over the next year. Suggestions are welcome!
5. I'm working on staying more cognizant of when I have an unforgiving attitude or say unforgiving things. This one is a work in progress.
How I Can Do Better at Applying FORGIVE in the Future:
2. More apologies need to be offered to those around me. I have been in contact with people from my past that hurt me, but I have not been able to come straight out and apologize yet. I really hope to do this more.
3. I would like to be better about writing my thoughts on forgiveness in my journal. I'm not always great at seeing God move in my life while it is happening. Usually, I realize His works in retrospect, and I know that journaling through this process will be an encouragement to me.
How are you living out your 2015 word? How can I encourage you?