That being said, I'm also a big fan of book clubs. It's such a great opportunity to read a good book and then have an excuse to get together with girlfriends to drink wine, eat snacks, and geek out!
In my opinion, there are some key ingredients to hosting the perfect book club.
1. A solid group of friends. Be sure your book club is a group of gals that you know! Of course it's always fun to invite new people, but the group should know each other well enough to feel comfortable voicing their opinion about the book! This will keep the discussion going.
2. A book (obviously). Now, let's just be real. Book clubs won't always read GREAT books, but that is part of the fun. If you hate it, it gives you something to whine about over wine at your monthly meeting! However, try to choose versatile books! Stalk Goodreads for recommendations ahead of time! Here's a fun game for choosing a book: the host wraps a few books in wrapping paper and the gal that brings the best snack or beverage of the night gets to choose from among those books! That will be the book the group will read over the next month! If you don't own the books, feel free to have them draw a piece of paper out of a hat!
3. SNACKS & drinks. Book clubs couldn't sustain themselves if there weren't copious amounts of food and drink. Suggest each member of the book club bring a snack or beverage to contribute! Brownie points for bringing cheese. Or is that just me? Jump on pinterest and try something new!
4. Decide ahead of time what the format of the meeting will be. Do you want to answer specific questions or just have an open-ended discussion? Talk with your group ahead of time so that you can be prepared to accommodate the style they prefer!
5. Suggest people still come even if they didn't finish the book. If you're anything like me, reading isn't my favorite part of the book club. It's the lady time and discussion. Even if someone didn't read the book, they should still come be a part of the fun!
What might you add? Are you part of a book club?